Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spicy shrimp en Papillote

MaggieLamarre-Shrimppapillotte

Hi Everyone,
My mother is the most creative woman I know from the kitchen to mix media art. I’ve discovered a lot of her techniques are actually becoming very mainstream. Example I grew up with my mom smoking bone marrows, only to discover a celebrity chef Norman is now serving this dish as a delicacy of 4 small bone marrows for $27.00.
One of the ways my mom love to steam shrimp is by using an aluminum foil as a pocket or en papillote. Hold and be hold this technique is called in French Papillote.
I’m sure you are wondering what is en papillote cooking?
It’s a simple technique meaning to cook in a pocket using parchment paper, tightly for baking. In France the chefs always use parchment paper. However my mom always use aluminum foil, when I asked her why she told me it was what she had in the kitchen, and also she can grill it, as opposed to the parchment paper that can only be baked.
Today I continue the tradition in my own kitchen,of using you guessed it :) ALUMINUM foil!


Spicy Shrimp en Papillote

MaggieLamarre-Shrimps

Ingredients:
Shrimp, deveined, clean
Roma tomatoes dice
Red onions dice
Celery dice
Jalapeno pepper seeded dice
Olives
William Sonoma smoke salt
Madagascar pepper
Ancho Chili powder
Cilantro
Smoke pepper bacon
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
Aluminum foil

Instructions:
Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
  • Mix olive oil with salt, pepper, Ancho chili powder in a bowl
  • Add shrimp,jalapeno, celery,onion, tomatoes,coat all ingredients well with the spiced oil
  • Lay 2 15-inch-square pieces on top of each other, so it will be sturdy on the counter
  • Add coated shrimp onto the center of aluminum foil, add cilantro, bacon, olives on top of the shrimp
  • Pull the sides of the aluminum foil fold together to create a tent pocket, place in the center of the oven for 10 minutes
  • Let cool on a cutting board before opening the pocket


MaggieLamarre-Shrimppapillotte

Here’s a video on the techniques of Papillote


Enjoy,
Have a great week,
Maggie
Share/Bookmark

No comments: