As I embark on a 15 states, 30 city tour of the west, here are the top 10 things I wish I had done before getting on the road.
- Calling each park to see what discounts they take and if they take the national card. Some does take club discounts such as passportAmerica, some don't it never hurt to ask them what club discounts they take?
- Checking to see if they have electricity, water,or laundry facility, and how much they cost?
- Showers within the campground, how far they are,and how much?
- Cooking (can charcoal be used) what is the level of dryness?
- Entrance fees included for the campground? Some charges a fee like the Grand Canyon $25 to enter and $12 a night for unimproved campground.
- Bringing a shower tote, some campground showers are located at least 25 miles away or 50 miles roundtrip, now that's too far for a shower. Some does charge $2.00 for a minute shower like the Grand Canyon.
- Eggs container for camping, putting eggs in the cooler the cardbox became mush.
- Fly traps, like the blue zappers out west the flies bites worst than mosquitoes.
- Bee repellent oh my they can swarm around when you are cooking or eating.
- Firewood seems to be like gold on campgrounds they charge upwards of $7.99-9.99 for a small bundle. At home the same bundle is $3.99
My best tip for you is to select a campground not too far from the bathrooms, trust me it's not fun to trek thru the campground in the middle of the night trying to get into a bathroom that is 600 feet away.
I suggest an urine container like they use in the hospital, trust me this is better than facing a racoon in the middle of the night.