I made it to the farmers market very late, but it turned out to be my lucky day. There were a few baskets of strawberries left that started to sweat and the vendor marked them down to $1.00 a basket. However being the savvy shopper that I am, I bargained I will take the whole lot for .50 cents a piece.
Now the proud owner of 8 baskets of strawberries, It occurred to me they will be best as preserves.
Strawberry Champagne Preserves
Strawberries washed and pitted
2 cups of Champagne
1/3 cup of Splenda baking sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 300F
- Hull, wash, and slice strawberries, mix in a container with the champagne, let stand at room temperature for 2 hours
- Cook on medium heat, stir continuously until it baubles and then lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes, until the juice have reduce to half
- Add the cinnamon,mix well let sit for 1 minute
Clean mason jars, place into the oven for 2 minutes
- Remove jars from the oven, pour strawberry champagne onto jar
- Place jars into the oven and turn off the oven, let cool in the oven for 45 minutes
Voila! Preserves that is diabetic friendly
A few more ideas: this is perfect on crostini with mascarpone, or better yet spread it on brie and bake for 10 minutes.